Saturday, March 5, 2011

Spanish Rice

I have several versions of "Spanish rice" that I make.  The one I've made for years is from a recipe I clipped from a magazine.  Over the last few months I have been making burritos on a regular basis (think cheap AND easy!), so I've simplified my recipe even more.  It probably doesn't even resemble Spanish rice any more, but it works beautifully to add on, or even next to, our burritos.  Keep in mind that I am not a fan of spicy food, so tweak accordingly.  My version with Rotel is as spicy as I dare to go!

Here is the recipe version:

1 can (14 1/2 oz) reduced-sodium vegetable broth (I usually use chicken as it is what I typically have on hand)
1 can (14 1/2 oz) stewed tomatoes (my adaptation is diced tomatoes)
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic salt

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Okay, here is one of my altered versions:

1 cup long grain rice
1 can (14 1/2 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can (10 oz) Ro*tel

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.



I have also been experimenting with different flavored cans of diced tomatoes (i.e. italian diced tomatoes) with good results.  My 8 y.o. doesn't like tomato chunks, so I tried pureeing the tomatoes today.  I haven't tested it on her yet to see what she thinks.

There is so much moisture in this rice that it is fluffy and moist.  Again, experiment with whatever version you think may appeal to your taste buds and report back to me what you find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment